Primarily, diesel particulate matter sensor has been developed to estimate the amount of soot in a diesel particulate filter or to detect excessive particulate matter emissions. PM sensor in mostly of motor vehicles and cars are fitted at upstream of the exhaust system before catalytic converters and DPF filter to get readings of soot coming out of combustion engine. It is also used as an input to initiate DPF regeneration at the optimal time to minimise nitrogen oxides, how much adBlue is required to inject via nozzle to destroy nitrogen oxides.
The particulate matter sensor enables diagnosis of the particulate filter. It is integrated into the exhaust tract, downstream of the filter, and the sensor function is based on resistance measurements. The sensor element is regularly regenerated by heating, and the diagnostic software uses the measured current to evaluate DPF functionality.
How does PM soot sensor work?
Based on multi layer ceramic sensor technology, an exhaust gas particle sensor for particulate matter (EGS-PM) has been developed by Bosch. The soot-particle-sensing element consists of two inter-digital comb-like electrodes (IDE) with an initially infinite electrical resistance, an internal heater and a positive temperature coefficient resistor for temperature measurement.
The sensor usually sits at upstream before the filter in order to read particulate levels in the exhaust. Soot particles present in the exhaust causes increased conductivity in the sensing circuit inside the sensor. When the sensor hits a certain conductivity threshold, it tells the engine management system that the filters need to do regeneration process and burn particulates.
The operation of the PM Sensor is based on the electrical conductivity characteristic of the diesel particulate. During the sensor operation, soot particles from the exhaust gas are collected onto the inter-digital electrodes and form conductive paths between the two electrode fingers leading to a drop of the electrical resistance based on the voltage being applied to the element. The measurement process continues until a preset current value is reached. Soot particles trapped in DPF are disposed off during a process called “regeneration” when the particulates are burnt off.
A controlled regeneration of the soot-detecting electrodes is conducted by heating the sensing element and burning off the deposited soot at temperatures above 600°C.On a properly functioning vehicle, regeneration will occur approximately every 500 miles but this is very substantially dependent on the vehicle and driving conditions.
Why particulate matter sensor error code is caused?
A cause of triggered error code related on PM sensor might be bad readings, faulty EGS-PM sensor unit, it was damaged, flooded, there is short circuit and so on.
It is recommended that the error should be fixed immediately otherwise it will cause damage to the diesel particulate filter and that will cost you thousands to fix.
To do check fault codes you don't need to visit dealer shop or buy expensive diagnostic tools, what you'll need is a smart phone which one we believe you have it already, good app for diagnostic and bluetooth OBD-2 OBD-II plug connector, which costs around 10USD, when you buy spare parts from us we'll recommend proper software, because not all apps work properly. There is no need to spend a fortune on diagnostic tools or visit car dealer for their expensive diagnostic.
What is Diesel Particulate Filter?
Unlike catalytic converter, DPF is not a flow through device; it is a soot trap that collects particulates from exhaust emissions. The exhaust gasses flow into the DPF but this particulate matter is too large to escape so is trapped within the DPF and regeneration stops. This usually happens when the engine is not running hot, such as in stop-and-go traffic and short trips. Clearing DPF for excessive soot accumulation is advisable in that case.
To enable regeneration in DPF, and avoid damage to the filter, adblue (DEF) fluid may be refilled for the exhaust cleaning. DEF Diesel exhaust fluid as known as AUS 32 and marketed as Adblue is a liquid used to reduce air pollution created by the diesel engine. If you own a diesel-powered car, NOx sensor or PM sensor is critical to the Adblue SCR system to ensure your vehicle is compliant with the laws. In newer models, this Adblue technology comes as a standard.
Since it is obvious that many DPF problems are caused by simply ignoring the warning “Check Engine” lights advising that the DPF needs to be regenerated, the most common reason for the failure of a PM sensor is that DPF has become too clogged with the soot to be able to regenerate and affected the performance.
How to Fix Particulate matter sensor?
Cleaning should resolve the error but if it doesn’t then replacing particulate matter sensor probe must fix this issue because sometimes it’s only the probe that has malfunctioned, to ensure you are buying and fixing correct part consulate with electrician or contact Xenons4U for an advice and spare parts.
Replacement sensor probe without ballast unit will save you a fortune, as new units are costing a fortune! Of course it might be that probe won’t fix faulty codes, as we have mentioned previously consult with professional electrician or contact us for advice.
However, you can take your vehicle to the dealer shop for the replacement, but do not expect to be cheap, as all dealer charges premium.
Fixing faulty sensor probes is a quick and easy procedure, as we can supply step by step guide how to fix and replace faulty bosch particulate matter pm sensor. However, Bosch PM sensor comes with a retaining screw for quick and easy installation. Let’s see how we can replace a faulty sensor probe step by step:
Before getting into replacement procedure, set your tools ready needed for the process which includes, scissor, electrical tape, and soldering iron. If parts were bought at xenons4u, you’ll get extra accessories to complete replacing process.
- Remove the PM sensor out of your vehicle safely by getting under the vehicle
- Gain a safe access to the sensor by pulling back the protective cover rubber and get it grabbed with an electrical tape.
- Split the cables and connect the new probe cables with corresponding colors and solder each wire together to give them an additional strength.
We recommend that after replacing part a diagnostic test must be run to ensure that the error is resolved and the vehicle is working proper. Error cleaning may also be required for this code but only after installation of a new PM sensor to ensure car has adpoted new readings.
This guide may be applied to all brands of diesel and petrol cars which encounter error codes related to particulate matter sensor including Audi VW Skoda seat Mercedes-Benzes BMW Volvo daf siemensvdo continental Renault opal gm Vauxhall Citroen Peugeot and many other
If you are still not sure what could be wrong with PM sensor, just get in touch with us we will be more than happy to help you to fix malfunctioning sensors.
The most common fault codes and definitions:
- P1478 - Particulate Matter Sensor Temperature Circuit High Voltage
- P118B Particulate matter sensor temperature sensor performance
- P246C DPF Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction Forced Limited Power
- P246C00(039) P246C00 Diesel Particulate filter danger of clogging
- P2463 P246300 Particulate filter soot content 1st soot impact stage reached
At Xenons4U you can buy exhaust gas treatment particulate matter sensors EGS-PM repair kits, also known as EGS-PM2.2, EGS-PM21 PMS (Particulate Matter Sensor).
Available repair kits for these part numbers below:
Kia Hyundai part numbers:
- 39265-2F350 392652F350 0281006722/723
- 39265-2A210 392652A210 0281006700/701
- 39265-2F250 392652F250 0281006611/612
- 39265-2A400 392652A400 0281006707/708
- 39265-2F500 392652F500 0281007513/514
- 39265-2A200 392652A200 0281006571/572
- 39265-2A400 392652A400 0281006707/708
- 39265-2F300 392652F300 0281006552/553
- 39265-2A300 392652A300 0281006574
- 39265-2A350 392652A350 0281006613/614
GM part numbers:
- 55487659 0281006925/926
- 55487677 0281006540 855608
Volvo part numbers:
- 31401847 0281006618/619
Mercedes-benz part numbers:
- A0009050508 0281007097/098
- A0009050060 A0009053304
- A0009053504 0281006669670
- A0009058402 0281006352/353
- A0009053404 A0009059401
- A0009050608 A0009059601
- A0009055109 0281007403/404
- A0009050408 0281007095/096
- A0009051008 EGS-PM1.1 0281007902/903
BMW part numbers:
- 8582026-02 0281007229/230
- 8582026-03 0281007690/691
- 8596295-02 0281007235/236
- 8582023-03 0281007680/681
- 8582025-01 0281006664/638
- 8517454-01 0281006382
- 8582024-02 0281007237/238
- 8582025-03 0281007231/232
- 8582025-04 0281007688/689
- 8582024-01 0281006663/637
- 84777230-01 0281007650651
Dodge mopar jeep part numbers:
- 68352149AA 68404997AA 0281007126
- 68323482AA 0281007260/212
- 68299062AA 68250216AC
- 68250216AD 68249512AD
- 68352149AB 68201262AA
- 68354201AB 0281007448/449
- 68171189AA 0281006402
GMC part numbers:
- 55591380 0281006809
Ford part numbers:
- GC3A-5L239-AA 0281006658
- JK4A-5L239-BA 0281007178
- JC3A-5L239-CA JC3A5L239CA 0281007523
- JK4Z-5L239-B GK4Z-5L239-A
- FC3Z-5L239-B FC3Z-5L239-A
Cummins part numbers:
- 5461550 A056N688 0281007173/174
- 5461552 A056N706 0281007167/168
VW AG Audi Skoda VAG part numbers:
- 4N0906261A 04L906261H
- 04L906261D 0281007003/004
- 059906261D 04L906261F 059906261B
- 4M0906261H 8K0906261A 4M0906261D
- 4M0906261 05L906261 04L906261J
- 04L906261B 0281006628629
- 8W0906261A 0281006996997
- 4M0906261C 0281006715716
- 80A906261 0281006848/849 0281006848849
- 04L906261K 0281007752753
- 04L906261G 0281007405406
- 4M0906261D 0281007003004
- 03N906261B 0281007048049
- 03N906261C 0281007088089
- 4L0906261D 0281006410411
- 4L0906261B 0281006628/629
- 4K0906261 0281007050051
- 4M0906261F 0281007020021
- 05L906261D 0281007922923
Land Rover Jaguar part numbers:
- HJ32-5H310-AC HJ325H310AC 0281007266/267
- FPLA-5H310-CC LR071752
- 0281006773/774 0281006774
- 0281006622 02T4A2625
- HJ32-5H310-AD 0281007397/398
Honda part numbers:
- 36560-59N-G011-M2 0281007428/375
DAF 24V trucks lorries HGV part numbers:
- 5461554 A056N722 0281007163/164
- 2185906 2121308
Cars Trucks which are fitted in EGS-PM sensor:
- Opel Vauxhall Zafira C P12 Tourer 1.6CDTi
- Opel Vauxhall Cascada 1.6 2.0 CDTi
- Opel Vauxhall Insignia MK2 B
- Kia Soul MK2 1.6 CRDI
- Kia Sportage MK4 IV 2.0 CRDi
- Hyundai I40 2015 1.7 CRDi
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI
- Hyundai E-County Commercial 2010 - 2016
- Kia Sorento MK2 SUV
- Ceed Pro i30 i40 Accent i20 Rio MK3 Active Venga ix20
- Kia Rio MK3 III 1.4 CRDI
- Volvo XC90 MK2 D5 Diesel 2017 2018 2019 2020
- Mercedes-Benz A class W177
- Mercedes-Benz B class W247
- Mercedes Benz C class W205 S205 A205 C205
- Mercedes Benz E class W213 S213 A238 C238
- Mercedes Benz ML GLE W166 ML350
- Mercedes Benz GLS X166 2012 - 2019
- Mercedes Benz GLK X204 GLK250 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
- Mercedes-Benz V class W447 Viano Vito
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter W907 W910 2018 2019 2020
- BMW 3 series G20 G21 2017 2018 2019 2020
- BMW 5 series G30 G31 518d 520d 525d 530d 540xDrive M550d xDrive
- BMW 6 series G32 GT Gran Turismo
- BMW 7 series G11 G11 LCI Facelift
- BMW 7 series G12 G12 LCI Facelift
- BMW 8 series G16 Gran Coupe
- BMW 1 series F20 F21 LCI Facelift 116D 118d M-Sport 2014 - 2019
- BMW 2 series F22 F23 LCI Facelift 220d 2014 - 2019
- BMW 3 series F30 F31 LCI Facellift 2014 - 2019
- BMW 3 series F34 GT LCI Facelift 2015 - 2019
- 316d 320d 328xd
- BMW 4 series F32 F33 F36 Gran Coupe LCI Facelift 2016 - 2019
- 418d 420d 430d 435d
- BMW 7 series F01 F02 740d
- BMW X3 F25 2013 - 2016
- BMW X3 G01 3.0d
- BMW X5 F15 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
- BMW X5 G05 3.0d
- BMW X6 F16
- BMW X7 G07
- Audi Q5 SQ5 FY 3.0 TDI
- Audi Q7 SQ7 4M 4.0 TDI
- Audi A4 B9 8W A5 F5 3.0TDI
- Jaguar XF
- Jaguar F-Pace
- Land Rover Range Rover Velar L560 2.0L Diesel 2018 2019 2020
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque L538
- VW Arteon Passat B8
- Audi A6 C7 Q8
- Audi Q7 4L Facelift 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
- Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 BiTDI CUA CUAA
- VW Transporter T6 MK6 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
- VW Transporter Multivan Caravelle T6 MK6 VI 2.0 BiTDI
- VW Campmobil
- VW Touareg MK3 2018 2019 2020
- VW Golf Sportsvan 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
- VW Tiguan MK2 2016-
- VW Amarok 2017-
- VW Campmobil 2016-
- VW Crafter 2E 2017 2018 2019 2020
- Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 Super Duty Truck Pickup 6.7L 2015 - 2017
- Honda Civic MK10 1.6 Diesel
- Dodge RAM 1500 Clasisc Pickup Truck 2018 2019 2020
- Dodge RAM 2500 3500 6.7L 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
- DAF XF106 HGV Lorry Truck 2015 2016 2017 2018
As always if you have find out this blog useful, please pass it on via social media and share with your friends!